Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Little "Peace" of Japan


The past few weeks have not brought a peaceful beginning to 2007. Domestic troubles in Frenchy land is the primary cause. My colleague said to me, "It's really funny how domestic troubles bring trouble to every other part of your life," and it's the God's honest truth. Work is tougher, sleep is limited and less restful, and in general, there's a big, ticking bomb interrupting the normal peace in your life. Fortunately, the bomb hasn't exploded yet.


I thought it would take time, and it has, and things seem to be on the mend, with another weekend behind us. Yesterday we took a long walk around Jyuugaoka, an area of Tokyo that brings back fond memories of my past, living with P in Gakugei-daigaku, and escaping the normal frenzy of urban life in the residential districts on the Toyoko line.

S and I discovered this cafe, an old Japanese house which had been turned into quite a hopping little business while still holding on to its traditional charm. I sipped a "matcha au lait" (green tea latte) and thought about the power of time. The setting of the old house, the fusion beverage I was drinking, and the fact that I was still sitting in front of S... all of it made me conscious that time is always running and every element of life is changing by the second. Change brings discontinuity, like the old house-turned-cafe in the middle of Jyuugaoka, but somehow it really works. So I'm hoping that S and I, despite all of our differences and discontinuties, will be able to fix all the pieces in a complementary way and make things work. The history is there, so only time will tell the future.

No comments: