Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Hakone...

where I made my weekend escape with S. I have to say, it doesn't really matter where I am with him-- my relaxation factor seems to rise by 10. We just have such a good time together! Can the right Frenchman really soothe the wildest of Tokyoites?

The trip made the sakura season last a bit longer, as the blossoms were still blooming in Hakone... though we went not for more hanami, but for a traditional lesson in relaxation-- the Japanese ryokan experience. While on the trip, we were trying to think of another culture in which you can still go to a very old, traditional-style inn, where you stay not for the bed, but for the experience. If you can think of one, oshiete kudasai (let me know).

Our ryokan, called Fukuzumi-ro, was more than satisfactory. I highly recommend it to anyone going to Hakone. Initially, I was impressed by its line-up of past guests, including Kawabata Yasunari, Natsume Souseki, and so on, which is why I chose to book it (Thank you, Onigiriman, for indirectly showing me the way to the best ryokan in Japan!). But now I can see why famous authors would write in this place. The rooms were large (3 rooms of maybe 8 tatami each), the food was delicious and more than we could even eat (after worrying, "where's the rice?" after the 1st course, haha), and the view of the river and momiji (maple tree) outside our window was serene and beautiful, especially in the fading sunlight.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


When S is finished working 12-hr days and making rich people richer on the market, he wants to open his own momiji shop-- a noble undertaking, though not exactly lucrative. He will have to marry rich or convince his best friend to buy him one... I offered to buy him one with the rewards (yet to be received) from my award-winning novel (yet to be written), but we can't quite decide which non-lucrative career to adopt first-- S's momiji raising or my book writing...
So, the innocent version of this story is that we ended up reading, bathing, eating and sleeping our night away in this guesthouse perfect for momiji and Japanese literature lovers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


The next day, after we were graciously removed from the ryokan at 10am-- I say "removed," because we were definitely not ready to leave, particularly at 10am-- we headed to the Open Air Museum, which ended up being the perfect way to spend the day. The weather was gorgeous, and the museum is definitely seated at the top of my list of favorites, just because what could be more majestic than art and nature together on a beautiful day? I am almost afraid to ever go back because I have such an ideal memory of it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, the lesson learned from this weekend is that living in Tokyo isn't bad at all if you can get away every once in a while for a quiet weekend. Time to start planning the next trip.... where should I go?

No comments: