Monday, June 27, 2005

Danger zone

Internet problems have severely limited picture posting and entries to the blog. S’ modem seems to be broken at the moment, and my attempts to steal a wireless connection from the neighbors have been in vain. I have pictures from our trip to the States, Mash’s visit to Tokyo, and now P’s sayonara accumulating all the memory on my camera instead of taking the spotlight on my blog. Hopefully this situation will be ameliorated very very soon.

It’s now been one week since I’ve moved into Masters Akasaka and have taken part in the “living together” arrangement. So far so good, though the situation has prompted some good moments.

I moved in last Sunday. On Monday, I flooded the bathroom (by no fault of my own). The washing machine hasn’t been working right, and during my load of laundry, it decided to start spewing water everywhere, leaving a centimeter of water or so all across the bathroom floor. Our second night in-house was spent sopping up water with towels and wringing them into buckets—we filled two to the brim. And for the past week we have been going back and forth with the Japanese repairmen, trying to get the thing fixed. Conclusion: Japanese repairmen are merely liaison to the real fix-it people. They apparently don’t know how to fix anything themselves.

The week continued with an eventful Wednesday night. S left the door to the veranda open in his room, and at 2am we were awoken by a “zzzz, zzzz” next to our ears and in my case, 6 new red and swelling mosquito bites in various no-need-to-be-mentioned locations. We switched on the lights and jumped onto the bed G.I. style with an aerosol can of insect killer as our chosen weapon. “There’s one!” I pointed and shouted. “Putain!” the Frenchman reveled as he leapt across the bed with the spray. Definitely deserved a photo.

Last night topped off the end of the official 1st week. S was looking for a plastic bag to hold his dirty laundry (which has been piling up immensely due to scenario #1). “Babe, have you seen my Fuji Rock bag?” he queried. She looked at him sheepishly. “I kind of threw away all those plastic bags in your closet since we had so many in the kitchen.” Apparently it was a souvenir from his first Fuji Rock concert two years ago.

Good thing I’m not being graded on this moving in thing. And even better that S isn’t such a harsh grader!

2 comments:

おにぎりまん said...

So when you moving out of Japan?

JoLo in Tokyo said...

O-man, looks like it will be mid-September, since my term begins October 1st. Planning on taking August off to do some traveling before I go.