Monday, June 20, 2005

A Side of Mash and a New Home

My university roommate for all 4 years (minus the year we were both abroad), also known as the Mash Daddy, came with her high school friend Nina for a week-long visit in Tokyo. Being that we met at the airport as I was just arriving back from the States, we all persevered through the jet lag and made the most of our week, which included but was far from limited to the most well-attended Harajuku freak show I've ever seen, delicious dinners every night, a karaoke session of insanity followed by an early early morning (4am) trip to Tsukiji Fish Market, an overnight at a ryokan in Nikko and a day seeing the shrines and temples there, Peking duck and clubbing, a Frenchy for everyone, and limitless inside jokes and laughs. Was so great to have you here, girls. Just when I thought Tokyo couldn't get any more crazy and fun-- I should have known better ;-) One city obviously just can't handle all of us!

Continuing the whirlwind that basically began back when I had left for the States June 1st, I found myself at June 19th, working everyday and still going out every night after the non-stop tour up the East Coast U.S. To top it all off, yesterday I moved out of my place in Gakugei and in with my new "flat mate" S in Akasaka. It is amazing to me how I arrived in Tokyo with 3 suitcases and yesterday needed to rent a car and make 2 absolutely packed trips with my stuff. Did I really accumulate so much JUNK!?

Anyway, despite S' fears that I would totally invade his space, I actually only half-invaded it, as I was supposed to. Except for some empty suitcases that can't quite find a home yet, it seems that I will be pretty comfortable in my new home, be it temporary nevertheless. I still think it hasn't hit me yet that I've actually "moved in," as opposed to staying the night with my all too familiar tote bag, but I am realizing it little by little, particularly from simple things, like showering with my own shampoo (never felt better!).

I'm really looking forward to some quality time with S in the couple of months ahead, and especially to this week-- only thing planned is some rest and relaxation!

1 comment:

おにぎりまん said...

Why do I get the feeling that you do more in Japan than I've ever done. If I ever get there when you're there, you have to take me around!