Friday, December 01, 2006

Cotton candy and angels

If heaven were a gynecologist's office, I guess it would look like this... at least in Japan.

The trip to the womanly doctor is never exactly pleasant. But pink walls, carpet, and furniture, among the floating angels on the wall? That's a bit too much. Trust me, I am as big a fan of pink as anyone, but when you are already doing something consciously woman-esque, there really is no need for further emphasis!

Became I'm cheap, it was my first time to the Japanese doctor, besides the yearly full-physical health check-up necessary for working in Japan. I have always gone to the Tokyo Medical Clinic, housing all English-speaking doctors-- basically the place where all the ex-pats go. But then I thought for this time, since I was getting a simple check-up and I pay to have Japanese health insurance, why not do as the natives do for 1/3 the price!? I didn't study 5 years of Japanese for nothing after all. And all in all it wasn't such a bad experience apart from the cotton candy. As with most Japanese services, it was organised, pleasant, not the most efficient, but accommodating enough to make up for it. Sickeningly sweet (and pink) could have been much worse but fortunately wasn't!

No comments: