Monday, December 18, 2006

Nutcracking & Christmas

The first gift of the season -- I took S to his first ballet to see the Nutcracker, my favourite since I was a child watching the toy wooden soldiers standing guard outside of FAO Schwartz in New York. It's such a classic and an icon of the holiday season. How could he not like it?

Well, clearly it was a pretty good idea, because he hasn't stopped whistling Tchaikovsky or pirouetting around the room since. Personally, I think if a guy enjoys ballet it adds a whole other dimension of attraction. I love the performing arts, so I would definitely want to be with someone who I can enjoy them with. Not to mention that in Tokyo where Christmas is not as in-your-face as at home, the Nutcracker builds up some holiday spirit.

It did for me, anyway. I went Christmas shopping the rest of the weekend, which meant elbowing my way through the swarming crowds in Harajuku and fighting my way through the zoo of Kiddyland. Believe me, you have not seen anything until you have seen Harajuku station on a December 16th Saturday afternoon. David Beckham might as well have been swinging on a rope in a Tarzan speedo in the middle of the station. Complete and utter mayhem.

Speaking of holiday spirit, S may have liked the Nutcracker, but he is still a big ol' scrooge. Ok, I need your opinions, PLEASE! S and I won't be together on Christmas day, since we are both going home to our respective countries. Being the sensible one, I think we should exchange gifts before we leave this Wednesday the 20th. It's five days before Christmas but the best we can do. Scrooge, on the other hand, thinks no one is allowed to open presents before Christmas day, so we should open them when we get back to Tokyo on January 8th, which is not only WAY after Christmas, but in 2007! I tried using logical examples: Christmas parties are always before Christmas, not after; the Christmas season usually ends on Christmas day; Santa goes into hibernation after December 31st; but stubborn Scrooge won't have any of it.

Was I really a bad girl this year??! Let me know if you agree that if you are not together on Christmas or until January 8, 2007, gifts should come first!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm, that's a very tough call. Normally I would agree with you, go ahead and get it done with before vacation....

Then again, if he's that nuts about it maybe its ok just to wait. Some people get super weird and testy about holidays and its best just to let them have their way... scrooges!