Saturday, October 09, 2004

The worst idea ever...

Darling B. left Px and I his "mama-chari," aka his bike with the little basket that you ride to the grocery store, the station, etc. Only thing was, we had to pick it up at his place, which is maybe 1/2 hour ride from our house. No big deal at all, right?

Except how and when to complete this PITA task... we would have to subway to Nishi-Koyama, get the bike and then one of us would ride the train home and one of us would ride the bike... and figure out how in the world to get back using actual roads as opposed to train lines.
And... to accomplish this task before the bike ended up being stolen from its resting place. Theft is a rare occurrence in Japan, but bikes are probably one of the more "stealable" objects, and PLEASE-- Px and I have been waiting for this mama-chari for ages (it even has a COVERED basket!!). So we decided today would be the day...

Unfortunately, we made this decision IN THE MIDDLE OF A TYPHOON!!! Well, there was a break in the rain, and I thought Px really wanted to go today, and she on the other hand thought that I really wanted to go today, so in the midst of our miscommunication, we stupidly went. We got directions from the Koban (police box), and ventured into Nishi Koyama, and found the bike at B's secure, though looking slightly depressed from the shit weather it was made to endure. Unfortunately, by that time, it was POURING, and Px and I were made to weather the shit rain as well. She didn't want to leave me to find my way back home by myself, so we had a splendid idea-- we would return through the storm together-- she would ride the bike and I would jog home.

So we did this-- we rode/jogged almost an HOUR home in the middle of the typhoon. I was wearing a rain coat, but had on jeans and my Puma sneaks, and well, after 10 minutes, I was soaked right through to the bone. No need for a hood, a rain jacket, or any other rain gear, because it only sopped up an extra 10 pounds of water for me to carry with me on my jog. Honestly, all I wanted to do was take off my pants, which were sticking to me and preventing me from even moving my legs in a stride that would take me any distance at any speed-- I didn't, of course, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway... everyone was staring at these crazy soaking wet idiots biking/jogging through the typhoon anyway. Only stopping to a.) get a plastic bag from 711 to wrap up my almost ruined passport and b.) to get under cover once because the rain was stinging my eyeballs, we eventually made it home with the cursed mama-chari.

This was the WORST idea in the world, especially after I found out that this is the WORST typhoon to hit the Kanto region in the past TEN YEARS! How will I remember it? Running an hour through the blinding rain for a bicycle with a covered basket and a faulty right brake. GOD BLESS JAPAN.

No comments: