Thursday, October 28, 2004

One Cast for Kerry...

Totally dejected about never having received my absentee ballot, I resigned myself today to the fact that I just wasn't going to be able to vote. I thought I had done everything right-- I even requested my absentee ballot months ago! But, after reading further instructions today, I realized that I had only faxed in a request for my ballot. I didn't realize that I had to mail it too. And unless I forked over a small fortune to overnight the thing, it would never arrive on time. So I thought I was totally f$#*ed. I rationalized, "Well, I did get Jake to change his mind while he was here. That means one less for Bush and one more for Kerry. That's like 2 votes, so that means in a way I voted." I still felt guilty.

Well, while I was finishing up a meeting today, my boss burst in with her usual dramatic flair and proclaimed, "I have a special public service announcement. Jocelyn, you can vote at the embassy. Get your skates on and go NOW! Do the world a favor!" Haha, so I ran down, flagged a taxi, and off to the embassy I went. I felt like they had been waiting for me! I handed security my bag... "I'm here to vote!" The guard urged me along, "They're closing right now! Hurry up and run!" and shuffled me inside. I received an FWAB (Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot), filled out a Fed-Ex slip, and minutes later, my vote was couriered off to Pennsylvania overnight FOR FREE! Now THAT is service!!

I have no doubt now-- John Kerry is our next President !!

No comments: