Monday, May 23, 2005

Day of disaster...

1. Firetrucks blocked my walk to the station this morning. Fire at the local supermarket! And on top of it, I'm out of yogurt. What to do now!?

2. I board the train headed for my office. Elated, I had actually made it on time for the 8:15 that goes straight to my office with no stopovers. These trains run only every 15 minutes or so, and I incessantly miss them and have to switch lines. My headphones are on full blast as usual, preventing me from hearing any announcement that could inform me of why we don't seem to be headed underground for the subway. I remove my earpieces and catch, "Jinshin jiko..." There was an accident on the Hibiya line, and my train was rerouted to Shibuya. Great. A bone crushing hour and five minutes later (since all trains were even more crowded than usual, as if that's possible), I arrive at work.

3. For all of those who have been e-mailing and wondering why I'm not responding, our work e-mail server was shut down for the weekend for a cleaning. Just to top off this strange, strange day, there were some more complications, and e-mail won't be running for the rest of today or tomorrow. We are now communicating with all clients by fax and phone. My boss remarked, "We have to remember what it was like working before the age of computers." First of all, I wasn't of working age then... second of all, don't you think it's a bit different since at that time everyone else was working without computers too? The monotony of the day has been broken only by writing this blog entry and a tuna and avocado sandwich at lunch time. THAT's how exciting it's been.

4. I can't even wait to see what will be next.

No comments: