Wednesday, September 15, 2004

"Die"-ei Disaster

This weekend I decided it was about time to get rid of the ugly native-americanesque curtains left in my room by D, my flat mate Px's old roommate who moved out. So I went to Daiei and bought all new bedding and curtains! This, for young women, as you may know, is an exciting event! I couldn't wait to get home and redecorate my room. Being able to have a room that is really "you" can totally change your mood, apart from just the fact that picking out new things is fun. Anyway, the new sheets, futon cover, and curtains that I bought were not wide enough, not long enough, and again, not long enough, respectively. Talk about bursting my bubble. Well, still on my shopping high, I got home from work on Monday and walked the 20 minutes with all my packages back to Daiei, BUT apparently in Japan, you can't open the whole package and return it. You can only "peek" inside at the contents and then decide they don't fit!? I, of course, had kept the packaging, but had totally unraveled the very precise Japanese wrappings to actually, god forbid, try them on my bed to see if they fit. Well, the good news is, I bought all new stuff and this time it fit! The bad news is, I spent 2 hours Monday night studying the new packages, and, using those as a guide, attempting to refold the too-small things exactly as they had been to squeeze them back in the packages. Not only was this a pathetic way to spend even a Monday night, but when I went to return them at the Daiei near my work (to avoid meeting the same cashier at the Daiei near home), they wouldn't take them back either! I have to go back to the SAME Daiei that I bought them at. Talk about TAIHEN! As much as I love Japan, there are some times when I just want to yell,
"THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!!!!!"


Alas, one of those times....

No comments: