Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Tribute to the masters of Asian hair...

How many times did I explain it to the hairdressers in PA and DC-- I want to keep it long and very straight, slightly layered in the front to frame my face, and thinned out (a lot!) in the back. $50+tip, $65+tip, $90+tip-- I've tried the funky anorexic with the no-good texturizer, the Chinese lady with the razor, and even the British chick at the chic salon in Georgetown. I was satisfied, for maybe the first week, but a credit card bill later would find myself wondering, WHY?!

The Japanese experience, thanks to my favorite Tokyo red-head, was as good as hair salon nirvana. The place... TONI&GUY in Harajuku.

My man... Erari, funny hair-glasses-too-tight-pants so must be perfect. I explained to him how I wanted it in my I'm-trying-to-explain-something-important-mixture of Japanglish, and by golly it finally worked!

Like most Japanseque services, the hair cut is a process. Forget the 45 min. in and out deal like at home-- put aside 2 hours for the Japanese "experience."

Step 1, Shampoo and deep condition for at least 20 minutes
Step 2, Ooh! nice head massage
Step 3, A long, anticipating wait with my oolong-cha and Bazaar magazine to keep my thumbs from twiddling
Step 4, The Cut-- a very slow, precise process complemented (or not) with conversation about the current "Amerika no erection," I mean, ELECTION
Step 5, Back to the sink-- another wash followed by neck massage
Step 6, Two men standing on either side of me, blow dryers full throttle, drying and straightening my hair
Step 7, More cutting-- can't risk it laying different once dry I suppose
Step 8, More drying, but oh we lost one. I guess the 2nd dry only requires one man
Step 9, Let's thin out the back some more, god I have a lot of hair
Step 10, Sigh of relief, looks great!
Step 11, Pay my bill-- a mere 5500 yen ($50) and no tip!

And now, friends, I am ready for the weekend. Agenda: Friday night drink with my new friend Freedom (don't usually say real names on here but had to make an exception), and a dinner date with Frenchy #3 whose name is the same as my father's which means I most definitely won't be marrying this man because my mother will never approve. He is a banker wanker and so I think I can expect better than First Kitchen, but let's not make assumptions and then be disappointed. And Saturday night, B's sayonara paa-tee before he takes off for gay Paris (tear for us all, esp you Px). You can all trust that these events will be well attended by moi with fresh and shiny Asian hair.

No comments: