Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Debate...

I was able to listen at work by logging on to C-Span and plugging in my IPOD headphones. Thank God for cyber technology!

My thoughts throughout the debate, biased as they may be:
1. Shit, the picture won't work. Oh well, saves me from looking at Bush's eternally furrowed brow of befuddlement.
2. God, George Dubya, of course you talk to "those people" [our world leaders] every day from Washington. That's your JOB!
3. "The only consistent thing about my opponent is that he's inconsistent."-- oof, that was catchy. Good one, Georgy.
4. How many times can the President of the United States say, "I uh" and get away with it? Apparently this is where the concept of infinity comes from.
5. "I know Osama Bin Laden attacked us and not Saddam." AND...? Any more on that? OK, guess not.
6. Did the President just say "And to Senator Bush I would like to say..."? Evidence that George W. Bush probably does go home and pretend to be John Kerry in his spare time. Beats facing Laura and the twins...
7. Despite the way Kerry pronounces the name of our Secretary of State, he really is not Irish.
8. Bush knows how a dying soldier feels in Iraq because he reads the casualty reports every day?
9. Kerry is so much more eloquent of a speaker. Did both he and Bush really go to the same university?!
10. At least they are capable of saying decent things about each other-- in public anyway.

Overall, Kerry was the stronger debater. He is a more eloquent speaker and he seemed more confident and poised. He articulated his points well, and that is what appealed to me. Bush has the fact that he is steadfast and has a very defined plan in his court, but it's always easier to argue for the black and white, aggressive approach to policy. It is more difficult to articulate a finer strategy, one that contains more subtleties in its approach. So again, maybe I am just biased, but give Kerry a break on that. I'm looking forward to the VP Debate between Edwards and Cheney. Anyone have a date/time on that? I hope I'm again at work with nothing to do!

No comments: