Thursday, September 02, 2004

Starting out...

I've been here officially 10 days now and have been at my new job exactly 1 week. . . what do I think so far? Well, I got extremely lucky with my living arrangements. I'm living in Meguro-ku, Gakugeidaigaku to be exact, in this really nice 2LDK that is quite big for Tokyo standards. My company arranged an apartment for me and is paying for it for one month. A friend of a co-worker here had a flat mate move out, so I took his spot. Turns out I'm living with this great Australian girl, who is awesome so far, and even better, I don't have to pay a security deposit, key money, or buy any new furniture, because all of that is already taken care of. Sooo glad to have a flat mate because I think I'd otherwise be ungodly lonely.
The commute is 45 minutes door to door, which in D.C., I wouldn't have even considered... but for Tokyo, I can't complain. I already had one big night out in Roppongi last Friday night... I met up with some old friends from where I worked last summer and met some new people too. Apparently I am quite the legend there. . . . no comment on that one.
But as usual, Tokyo is filled with uncanny coincidences. My flat mate actually knows my ex's best friend. They were even supposed to go out on a date, but then he ditched her or something... figures. And then, a guy I met at a gokan this week lives directly across the street from where I lived last summer in Shibuya, and saw my ex-boyfriend quite frequently walking around. Just these little things that are just too weird sometimes.
I won't comment too much about my job on here, because who knows who reads it. I do like it, but I'm not used to a full time job, let alone working 10 or 11 hour days. I see myself going to grad school after a while and finding a job that has NOTHING to do with corporate life. I will not be a salary-woman dammit! Maybe a professor? That's the latest thought...
And so overall, who could complain? I have a great apartment, great flat mate, good job, am very comfortable, and I'm living in TOKYO, not teaching English (not that there's anything wrong with that), right out of college!! But whatever it is, and no matter how much fun I'm having, it's still not last summer, and maybe that one thing I'm looking for just isn't here anymore... But who knows? I guess we shall see.........

No comments: