Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The faces of Tibet


Stunning. That's all I can say to describe not only the Tibetan landscape, but the people as well. If some of these children had been raised in the West, they would be on TV modeling. Dark skin, rosy cheeks, high cheekbones, gorgeous smiles, and black, thick hair. The only problem is that by the time they reach age 30, they look double their age. I wonder how people so poor can live so happily, or at least appear to, while we often have so much yet think it's never enough. But I guess it depends on what you are exposed to. If you never had chocolate, you would never miss it, right? I guess it goes the same for flushable toilets, electricity, and clean water. Anyway, during the time I spent with those kids, I never missed any of those small conveniences either.

The kids were bundles of energy and wanted to play constantly! We gave them all the piggy-back rides we could-- I strategically chose the smallest one [above] to be my friend, and also in the pic is her big sister, and "the [Swedish] dad" ;-) . After that we hokey-pokeyed and played games with them until the sun went down. It took every ounce of resistance not to stash my little one in my bag and bring a big omiyage home to S. Perhaps we were even sadder to then say good-bye than they were. I think they all brought out the best in us. There I was running down steep mountains with a 4 year old on my back, but smiling like it was the easiest thing in the world. Another little girl got kicked in the mouth during a game, and J. and I wiped her tears away until she stopped crying. It's these little moments that really stick in your heart as well as your mind. I just hope that they too were touched in some way by us, too.

No comments: