Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Post-China Reflections

<----- Me against the mountains.... hehe.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the time or the will to blog throughout my trip, and a summary at this point is virtually impossible. I will let you skim through these photos for a travelogue of the places I went and the things I saw, and to make up for my extremely lazy blogging habits, I will write a post about a highlight of my travels everyday for the next week -- I'm sure it won't be too hard to think of 7 good ones :-) Consider that my penance.

To kick it off, though, I just want to make note here of some thoughts about my life in general after this experience, which I would say was probably at least mildly life-altering for me. After all, the ancient mountains of China and the mystical plateau of Tibet were a mere backdrop for the many experiences I had, which are the essence of what I will carry with me from this trip.

I'll first say that this trip was exactly what I needed at just the right time. I don't think I've felt so much like myself in a very long time as during the past month. Being totally alone and meeting for the first time a group of people with whom I would be spending immense amounts of time with, there was no other way to be but 100% Jo-Lo. And there is not a more liberating feeling than to escape for a while from a society, which, to put it harshly, is stifling at times.

What augmented the fabulousness of freedom was the opportunity to share it with some of the most amazing people ever. I made three friends I will probably be in touch with for a very long time, if not a lifetime, and will sincerely miss every other single person in our group of 12. Everyone was going through some sort of transition in life and was taking this trip purely as an opportunity to see the world and experience a different side of life than the usual. It was the type of experience that you put 100% into, with no hesitations and no holding back, because everyone knew that the chances of it ever happening again were slim to none. I will remember these people when I remember any place or time on this trip.

Finally, I also have a new, or revised, outlook on my looming future in Cambridge. I've gone from being insecure and basically scared out of my wits of going and leaving my comfortable life in Tokyo, to looking forward to another new chapter of my life. The Tokyo chapter will still be open for editing and many appendices I'm sure, but I've realized that there are times in life when it's necessary to let go and embrace something new. There are times when the change seems larger than what you care to handle, and there are people who you love so much you just can't say good-bye. But a boost of confidence makes everything a bit easier (though still not easy), and I guess now I can prepare myself for whatever Cambridge decides to throw at me.

So, this is what I've learned in China (and I swear I haven't teamed up with the Commies to recruit more tourists to visit)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the whiteboard: Rootkits
Rootkits attack deep within operating systems and make themselves invisible to the anti-spyware and anti-virus software sent out to detect them.
Nice content! We'll visit often...

Why not browse our 3d home design - related site and see what we have to say about 3d home design?

Meanwhile, keep up the gerat blogging!