Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Sayonara, Jo-Lo in Tokyo

The big departure is tomorrow morning. By 6:30 am I will board the familiar Narita Express headed for a not-so-familiar continent, country, and life. Along with many farewells I have already bid, I must also say sayonara to this blog site, as I will no longer be "Jo-Lo in Tokyo." I will be making a page on this site, entitled "EngRish GiRL"-- because that's what I feel I'll be-- not quite a proper ENGLISH girl, bringing a bit of Japan with me. Give me a few days to set up the site, but it will be

www.EngRishGiRL.blogspot.com.

Until then,

Sayonara to

Akasaka, my new home in Tokyo, and all the ojisan I pass on my frantic dash to one place or another

My mama-chari, the best purchase I ever made in Tokyo. 5000 yen (45 USD), which paid for itself 100 times over in saved train fares, minutes on crowded trains, and commutes to the office

Squinting at the sharp sunlight after all nighters in Roppongi & Shibuya, drinking, dancing, and singing at karaoke until dawn

The wind against my face and an excuse to hang on tightly to S as we "scooter" around the city

Thursday nights at Andy's with the freshest, most delicious fish and the best company

Free time on the weekends to brunch, to explore the nooks and crannies of Tokyo, or to relax in a rotemburo shaded by a momiji at dusk

Automatic taxi doors, heated toilet seats, all you could want vending machines, onigiri & bento

Meeting someone for the first time and answering the questions, "where are you from?" "how long have you been in Japan?" "Nihongo jyouzu! why can you speak Japanese?"

Finding all the right sized clothes at too expensive a price

And much, much more.

I'll leave you with a quote that's followed me from my high school graduation (actually included it in my speech) through every big change in my life, and from country to country.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." ~Dr. Seuss

No comments: